Children instinctively like to touch and be touched. They do not hide their need for physical contact either.
In the first three years of a child’s life, close physical contact with the mother is imperative for a child’s growth and development. From day one, infants rely on the safety of their mother. Connecting through touch, cradling, breastfeeding or in some countries carrying the child on their body.
Many cultures throughout the world massage their babies daily and their baby tends to be stronger and more relaxed. They see touch as a fundamental part of the baby’s emotional health and physical development.
Mariska is a certified infant massage instructor and paediatric consultant, and a member of IMIS. As a former maternity nurse she has great affection for infants and loves teaching parents and seeing them grow in confidence.
Benefits baby massage
- A Happy baby as massage releases both oxytocin and endorphins
- Can give relief from colic, abdominal wind, and those nasty cramps and does works wonders on constipated babies.
- Assist in relieving discomfort from teething, chest or sinus congestion
- Enhance sleep through touch and relaxation
- Reduces crying time
- Supports the growth and development of your baby’s and enhances neurological development
- Strengthens the immune system
- Can help with respiratory disorders
- Assists with weight gain, specifically in premature babies
- Increases infant’s body awareness, improves sensory awareness and balance
- Enhances movement and limb coordination
The Touch Research Institute in Miami done lots of studies about the benefits of touch for infants, if you are interested in more facts.
Benefits for Mum and Dad
Infant massage gives you the tools to help you to understand your baby better and help them to feel satisfied and content.
- It enhances the bonding process between you and your bubba enabling a loving relationship for years on end.
- Is a wonderful method to calm, reassure or relax your little one
- The one on one time is a special time between you and your baby
- The techniques you will learn will increase confidence and baby handling
- It encouraging closeness and teaches your baby about loving, nurturing and appropriate touch.
- It teaches conscious relaxation techniques, which your child will have for life.
- It can be a great way to get some toddlers to sleep and touch may offer reassurance far into their teens.
- Massage provides a quality time for Dads to be involved
- Most of all it is fun for you and you baby and give you some precious one on one time
Classes are taught in various ways
1,5 H introduction to baby massage to understand the basics. This can be on location, as a speaker for a group or as a workshop.
1 x 1.5 hour session – 8 parents minimum – $25.00 per person
Join our groups class, meet other parents and get an in dept understanding in 4 weeks the baby massage course.
4 x 1 hour sessions – 6 parents maximum – $120 total for all 4 lessons
A group class for designed for dads over a period of 2 weeks
2 x 1,5 hour sessions – 6 dads maximum – $120 total for all 4 lessons
Organize your own group
We’ll come to you mothers- or playgroups or your pregnancy yoga group and teach the course on your location.
4 x 1 hour sessions – 6 parents maximum – $130 total for all 4 lessons (per person)
Private Session in the comfort of your home
One-on-one instruction over two weeks in your home.
This is an alternative for parents with special needs bubba, premature babies coming home or women with postnatal depression
2 x 1,5 hour sessions – $155.00 total
For more detailed information for each class, click the links. You’ll also find the upcoming dates there. Contact us for more information.
Don’t have a wiggly worm of your own? Perhaps your girlfriend, daughter (in law) or colleague is about to have a baby. This is an ideal idea for a baby shower! Purchased as a gift voucher – Order here
I give 5 stars for mariska’s holistic approach to massage therapy. She was able to link some of emotional and physical stress that cause body aches and tension, and she gave well-thought advices to improve wellbeing in general. Not... read morelerisca Lensun6 months ago
I had a great remedial massage for some upper back pain I have been experiencing recently. Mariska was really great about listening to my issues and tailoring the massage specifically to target my problem area. Would highly recommend for anyone... read moreEllen Nelson1 week ago
Mariska is consistently polite, listens to my health concerns and always manages to find my sore spots and sooth my aches away with her calming treatment. My lower back rarely flairs up now thanks to my regular massages with Mariska.... read morePatricia Pekic1 year ago
Mariska is a lovely lady, she is caring and careful, she knows exactly where to press and for how long :)))
Thank you very much for the treatments, also thank you for your tips what I can do at home... read moreNadezhda Alex4 months ago
The massage last Tuesday was great - I went into labour and had a little girl on Thursday! The relaxation helped and I had a very short labourLouise6 months ago
I can highly recommend MarisSage reflexology sessions. I always come to a complete rest. She helps me to stop the constant flow of thoughts and calms my mind, which helps me to be less overwhelmed and more efficient during my... read moreWendy Smits-van de Ven4 years ago
Mariska has been thorough in helping to work out what may be causing my pain and very effective in helping to relieve my back pain. For my first session, I arrived in agony and left feeling so much better. Each... read moreHeather Rasker1 year ago
I saw Mariska yesterday for a remedial massage on my ailing back. Mariska made it very easy to explain what my problem is and after an initial examination she was able to relieve my back pain using targeted massage and... read moreKaren Grozier10 months ago
I had been meaning to have a proper reflexology treatment for a very long time, and finally had my first ever proper reflexology session earlier this week (the so called reflexology foot massages incorporated in body massage or foot spa... read moreChristine Yee1 month ago