Children instinctively like to touch and be touched. They do not hide their need for physical contact either.
In the first three years of a child’s life, close physical contact with the mother is imperative for a child’s growth and development. From day one, infants rely on the safety of their mother. Connecting through touch, cradling, breastfeeding or in some countries carrying the child on their body.
Many cultures throughout the world massage their babies daily and their baby tends to be stronger and more relaxed. They see touch as a fundamental part of the baby’s emotional health and physical development.
Mariska is a certified infant massage instructor and paediatric consultant, and a member of IMIS. As a former maternity nurse she has great affection for infants and loves teaching parents and seeing them grow in confidence.
What is baby massage?
Baby massage has been practiced in many cultures for thousands of years, and research shows many benefits.
Baby massage promotes bonding and secure attachment by use of eye contact, touch, smell and voice. during massage the baby’s bond with their mom (or dad) strengthens and deepens and it can help a baby to feel loved, nurtured and secure.
Baby massage classes provide a nurturing environment and a space to allow confidence to grow as the bond strengthens between parent & baby. As a parent you can feel empowered after learning baby massage, especially knowing you have techniques you can use to help your baby feeling happier, more settled or alleviate their aches and pains.
Baby massage can become such an enjoyable part of the day with your baby as it encourages quality one-on-one time with your little one and allows you to feel connected to your baby while doing the massage.
Benefits baby massage
- A Happy baby as massage releases both oxytocin and endorphins
- Can give relief from colic, abdominal wind, and those nasty cramps and does works wonders on constipated babies.
- Assist in relieving discomfort from teething, chest or sinus congestion
- Enhance sleep through touch and relaxation
- Reduces crying time
- Supports the growth and development of your baby’s and enhances neurological development
- Strengthens the immune system
- Can help with respiratory disorders
- Assists with weight gain, specifically in premature babies
- Increases infant’s body awareness, improves sensory awareness and balance
- Enhances movement and limb coordination
- Stimulating baby’s personal development both physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- Promotes better sleep due to the release of relaxing hormones (serotonin and oxytocin)
The Touch Research Institute in Miami done lots of studies about the benefits of touch for infants, if you are interested in more facts.
Benefits for Mum and Dad
Through massage, parents can gain increased awareness of how their baby communicates and connecting with them through touch, eye contact, smell and sound. This can help with confidence, especially as a first-time parent. Baby massage gives you the tools to help you to understand your baby better and help them to feel satisfied and content.
- It enhances the bonding process between you and your bubba enabling a loving relationship for years on end.
- Is a wonderful method to calm, reassure or relax your little one
- The one on one time is a special time between you and your baby
- The techniques you will learn will increase confidence and baby handling
- It encouraging closeness and teaches your baby about loving, nurturing and appropriate touch.
- It teaches conscious relaxation techniques, which your child will have for life.
- It can be a great way to get some toddlers to sleep and touch may offer reassurance far into their teens.
- Massage provides a quality time for Dads to be involved
- During the process of massaging their baby, in addition to their baby’s releasing relaxing hormones, they also release these hormones and experience a decrease in stress hormones, so it’s a wonderful way for you to induce relaxation.
- Most of all it is fun for you and you baby and give you some precious one on one time
Classes are taught in various ways
1,5 H introduction to baby massage to understand the basics. This can be on location, as a speaker for a group or as a workshop.
1 x 1.5 hour session – 8 parents minimum – $25.00 per person
Join our group classes, meet other parents and get an in-dept understanding in this 4 weeks baby massage course.
4 x 1 hour sessions – 6 parents maximum – $100 total for all 4 lessons
Organize your own group
We’ll come to you mothers- or playgroups or your pregnancy yoga group and teach the course on your location.
4 x 1 hour sessions – 6 parents maximum – $120 total for all 4 lessons (per person)
Private Session in the comfort of your home
One-on-one instruction over two weeks in your home.
This is an alternative for parents with special needs bubba, premature babies coming home or women with postnatal depression
2 x 1,5 hour sessions – $150.00 total
For more detailed information for each class, click the links. You’ll also find the upcoming dates there.
Don’t have a wiggly worm of your own? Perhaps your girlfriend, daughter (in law) or colleague is about to have a baby. This is an ideal idea for a baby shower! Purchased as a gift voucher – Order here
The massage last Tuesday was great - I went into labour and had a little girl on Thursday! The relaxation helped and I had a very short labourLouise1 year ago