Children instinctively like to touch and be touched. They do not hide their need for physical contact either.
In the first three years of a child’s life, close physical contact with the mother is imperative for a child’s growth and development. From day one, infants rely on the safety of their mother. Connecting through touch, cradling, breastfeeding or in some countries carrying the child on their body.
Many cultures throughout the world massage their babies daily and their baby tends to be stronger and more relaxed. They see touch as a fundamental part of the baby’s emotional health and physical development.
Mariska is a certified infant massage instructor and paediatric consultant, and a member of IMIS. As a former maternity nurse she has great affection for infants and loves teaching parents and seeing them grow in confidence.
Benefits baby massage
- A Happy baby as massage releases both oxytocin and endorphins
- Can give relief from colic, abdominal wind, and those nasty cramps and does works wonders on constipated babies.
- Assist in relieving discomfort from teething, chest or sinus congestion
- Enhance sleep through touch and relaxation
- Reduces crying time
- Supports the growth and development of your baby’s and enhances neurological development
- Strengthens the immune system
- Can help with respiratory disorders
- Assists with weight gain, specifically in premature babies
- Increases infant’s body awareness, improves sensory awareness and balance
- Enhances movement and limb coordination
The Touch Research Institute in Miami done lots of studies about the benefits of touch for infants, if you are interested in more facts.
Benefits for Mum and Dad
Infant massage gives you the tools to help you to understand your baby better and help them to feel satisfied and content.
- It enhances the bonding process between you and your bubba enabling a loving relationship for years on end.
- Is a wonderful method to calm, reassure or relax your little one
- The one on one time is a special time between you and your baby
- The techniques you will learn will increase confidence and baby handling
- It encouraging closeness and teaches your baby about loving, nurturing and appropriate touch.
- It teaches conscious relaxation techniques, which your child will have for life.
- It can be a great way to get some toddlers to sleep and touch may offer reassurance far into their teens.
- Massage provides a quality time for Dads to be involved
- Most of all it is fun for you and you baby and give you some precious one on one time
Classes are taught in various ways
1,5 H introduction to baby massage to understand the basics. This can be on location, as a speaker for a group or as a workshop.
1 x 1.5 hour session – 8 parents minimum – $25.00 per person
Join our group classes, meet other parents and get an in-dept understanding in this 4 weeks baby massage course.
4 x 1 hour sessions – 6 parents maximum – $100 total for all 4 lessons
Organize your own group
We’ll come to you mothers- or playgroups or your pregnancy yoga group and teach the course on your location.
4 x 1 hour sessions – 6 parents maximum – $120 total for all 4 lessons (per person)
Private Session in the comfort of your home
One-on-one instruction over two weeks in your home.
This is an alternative for parents with special needs bubba, premature babies coming home or women with postnatal depression
2 x 1,5 hour sessions – $150.00 total
For more detailed information for each class, click the links. You’ll also find the upcoming dates there.
Don’t have a wiggly worm of your own? Perhaps your girlfriend, daughter (in law) or colleague is about to have a baby. This is an ideal idea for a baby shower! Purchased as a gift voucher – Order here